Uploading Images to the LibGuide
You can upload an image directly from your computer into the Rich Text editor for a Rich Text Box. You can also upload an image from your computer to your Image Library. Then, you will need to insert a link to the image in a box on your page (usually a Rich Text Box is the best choice for embedding images, although it can be done in other types of boxes).
Uploading an image to your Image Library:
- Click on Dashboard in the orange navigation menu.
- Go to Modules and select Images and Backups Module.
- Under Image Manager, click on the link for “View your personal image library.”
- This will open a dialog box for the Image Manager which allows you to upload new images and browse existing images in your library. Your image library stores ALL the images that you have uploaded for use in any of the LibGuides you have created, not just this LibGuide.
- Use the Browse button to upload the image from your computer. Once it is uploaded it will appear as a thumbnail in the Image Manager.
- Next, return to the page where you want to insert your uploaded image. Go to Guides>View/Edit My Guides on the orange navigation menu and click on the highlighted title of the guide you wish to edit in your list.
- Go to the page in your guide that you want to edit.
- If you are adding an image to a new box on the page, follow the instructions for “Adding a box to a page” (#10). A Rich Text Box will work well for images.
- Click on Add/Edit Text next to the pencil icon in the box. This will open up the Rich Text Editor.
- In the Rich Text Editor, click on the image icon (the icon with the tree on it) to upload an image:
Click on the red text at the top of the dialog box to open another window to select an image from your Image Manager. I am going to select the “supersage.jpg” image from my library. I will do this by finding the thumbnail of the image in the Image Manager and clicking on the thumbnail with my cursor. Doing this will automatically enter the URL of the image in the Insert/Edit Image dialog box:
- Enter an “Alt Tag” or name for the image in the Alt Tag box. This will ensure that the image is accessible to screen readers.
- In the Alignment box, select the alignment you want from the dropdown menu.
- In the dimensions box, enter a pixel size in one of the boxes to size your picture. The first box is the horizontal dimension and the second is the vertical. Unless you know the exact pixel dimensions for your image, you should enter only a horizontal or only a vertical dimension and the editor will adjust the ratio accordingly.
- Border indicates whether you want a border around the image. Enter the border width in pixels
- Vertical space and horizontal space indicate how much of a buffer in pixels you wish to insert between the image and other page content.
- Click Update to save changes.
- You will see the image as it will appear in the box. Enter any text or other information you wish to add, and then click Save and Close to save.
- You can always edit or resize the image by opening the box in Rich Text Editor, clicking on the picture, and then clicking on the picture icon to edit the picture properties.
Uploading an Image Directly from Your Computer—You can also upload an image directly into the Rich Text Editor from your computer.
- Repeat steps for creating a new Rich Text Box.
- Click on the red linked text in the Insert/Edit Image dialog box to open the Image Manager.
- At the top of the Image Manager box, use the Browse button to select the image to upload from your computer. Make sure that the box below the Browse button is checked [“Use the newly uploaded image in my page (closes window when upload is complete)”].
- Enter the image properties in the Insert/Edit Image dialog box.
- Click Insert.
- The uploaded photo should appear in your Rich Text Editor. You can add a caption or other text:
Click Save and Close to save the changes and exit the editor.