Editing Links and Lists Boxes
Another type of content box that appears frequently in this LibGuide is the Links and Lists box. This type of box allows you to easily enter a list of links into the box and will allow you to update the order of the links with a click of the button. I’m going to demonstrate updating a Links and Lists box by adding a new link to the Data on Higher Education box of the Publications of Data and Reports section of the LibGuide.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the very bottom of the Data on Higher Education box. You will see an icon of a plus sign in a light green circle next to the text “Add New Link.” Click on that link to open the dialog box called “Add New Link.”
- In the following dialog box, you will enter information about the new link:
- Link Title—Usually the title of the website or webpage you are linking to. In this example, it is “Open Doors Data: International Students, Enrollment Trends.”
- Link URL—The web address of that link, in this case, http://www.iie.org/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/International-Students/Enrollment-Trends/1948-2012
- Window Target—You can select whether to have the link open in the same window or in a new one.
- Description—This is an optional box where you can enter an annotation or explanation of the link. That text will appear directly below the link.
- Additional Information—This is an optional box which will appear in a pop-up window when you mouse-over the link.
- Click on “Create Link” to create the link and close the dialog box.
By default, in a Links and Lists box, the new link is added to the bottom of the list. If you want to update the box so that the link will appear somewhere else, select “Reorder Links” at the bottom of the box. This will open a new dialog box:
You’ll notice that the links are represented in a bulleted list. You can drag and drop these links to rearrange their order or click on “Sort by Name” to sort them alphabetically. Remember to click on “Update Order” to save your changes. If you selected “Sort by Name,” you’ll see that the new link has been inserted alphabetically into the existing list of links: