Locating e-Books: Step by Step
The Montgomery County Public Libraries offer access to e-books through several sources. The main source for general interest books is the "Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium", which makes use of a service called Overdrive. Follow these instructions to access books through Overdrive:
- To access MCPL e-books, you first need a library card. See https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/library/services/card.html to register for your card.
- Power up the e-reader or computer on which you would like to read your e-books. Your device will need either to be connected to the internet wirelessly, or connected to a computer which is in turn connected to the internet. MCPL branch libraries also offer free wireless internet access. Stop by a branch for help getting connected!
- From the list to the right, follow the link for your device type for instructions on how to use Overdrive with your particular device.
- If you run into diffuculties, contact MCPL for assistance.
- Enjoy reading your e-books!
Accessing e-Books in Our Collections
Instructions for Downloading Apps
To begin borrowing library e-books, get started here with device-specific instructions for downloading an app to your e-reader
- Kindle Fire
- Sony Reader
- iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad
- Android phones & tablets
- Windows phone & Surface
- Windows computer
- Mac computer
- Borrowed e-books "return" to the library at the end of the loan period, so there are no fines for overdue items. Pick a loan period of 7, 14 or 21 days and set it as your default in your Account Settings.
- E-books can be returned early. Check the instructions here to find out how.
- 6 items can be checked out at one time, either e-books or audiobooks. Checked out items cannot be renewed, but they can be borrowed again if a copy is available.
- You are allowed 6 holds at one time. If an item you have placed a hold on becomes available, you will receive an email notification, and will then have 72 hours to check the title out.
- More than 34,000 public domain titles are always available and these do not count toward your check-out limits.
Sources for Free and Paid e-Books
- Montgomery County Public Library (http://montgomerycountymd.libguides.com/ebooks)
- Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org)
- Many Books (http://manybooks.net)
- Google Books (http://books.google.com)
- Open Library (https://openlibrary.org)