What is adaptive learning?
Adaptive learning is an educational method which uses computers as interactive teaching devices. Computers adapt the presentation of educational material according to students' learning needs, as indicated by their responses to questions and tasks. This model originates in the radical behaviourist movement of the 1950s and the unrealized promise of B.F. Skinner's teaching machines and programmed instruction. The motivation is to allow electronic education to incorporate the value of the interactivity afforded to a student by an actual human teacher or tutor. The technology encompasses aspects derived from various fields of study including computer science, education, and psychology.
Companies currently using adaptive learning technology
- ALEKS Corporation - an online assessment and learning company
- Carnegie Learning - a publishing company of math courses.
- Dreambox - an adaptive learning platform, with individualized paths for personalized learning
- e Spindle Learning - non profit maintaining an online vocabulary and spelling coaching program based on adaptive learning
- Knewton, an online learning company, currently uses adaptive learning technology for its online test-prep courses and plans to apply it to a wide range of educational markets.
- KnowRe, an engaging adaptive mathematics curriculum, provides granular assessments and an engaging and personalized learning environment.
- Desire2Learn, a provider of integrated learning platform, offers Knowillage LeaP which creates personalized learning paths for any learner, using any repository of learning objectives, content, assessments and questions, which are automatically mapped.
- McGraw-Hill Education, a content, software and services-based education company. In 2013, the company acquired the ALEKS Corporation and a 20 percent equity stake in Area9 Aps.
- Pearson, an education company whose adaptive SuccessMaker software provides elementary and middle school reading and math instruction.
- PrepMe, an online learning company, currently uses adaptive learning technology for test preparation, K-12 education, and professional development.
- Sherston Software, a UK education software company, offers PlanetSherston, an adaptive learning platform.
- iKnow, a social learning and community website, uses adaptive learning technology with the goal of increasing learning speed and retention.
- Smart Sparrow, has an adaptive learning platform that offers instructional designers and teachers integrated tools to create, publish and analyse their own adaptive content.
News and articles
- Understanding the adaptive learning supplier landscape
- What if you blended adaptive learning with MOOCs?
- Creating an adaptive learning environment
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - Impatient Optimists
- Gates Foundation announces $9M in grants to support breakthrough learning models in postsecondary education
- Adaptive learning helps personalize instruction
Research on adaptive learning
- Adaptive learning in practice, Eva Carceles-Poveda, Chyrssi Giannitsarou
- Adaptive learning paths for improving lifelong learning experiences
- Learning impact report 2013
- Evaluation of an adaptive learning technology as predictor of student performance in Undergraduaten biology
- Best practices in the assessment of adaptive beahvior
- A semantic approach to intelligent and adaptive learning based on web learning objects
- An adaptive learning process for developing and applying sustainability indicators wirh local communities
- Managing adaptive learning from the middle
- Implementation of adaptive learning systems.
- Leveraging intelligent adaptive learning to personalize education
- Reusing adaptive learning resources