Feral Cat Resources in the Capital Region
Feral Cat Resources
Feral Cat Resources:
Feral cats are domestic cats who live outdoors as wild animals. Although some feral cats (especially younger kittens) can be successfully socialized as pets, many are not adoptable. Many shelters euthanize shelter cats, while others participate in trap-neuter-return (TNR) programs, where feral cats are spayed/neutered and vaccinated and then re-released to the area where they were found.
There are several organizations in the Capital Region that work to assist feral cats through TNR programs and adoption (for adoptable cats) and should be contacted if you seek advice or help for a feral cat or cat colony:
- Alley Cat Allies, 7920 Norfolk Avenue, Suite 600, Bethesda, MD 20814-2525, 240-482-1980, email@example.com. Alley Cat Allies is a national organization that educates the public and advocates for feral cats.Their website has resources on TNR, caring for a feral cat colony, and information about the Feral Friends Network where you can learn about individuals in your area who are assisting feral cats.
- Alley Cat Rescue, Inc., P.O. Box 585, Mt. Rainier, MD 20712, 301-277-5595, firstname.lastname@example.org, is a rescue organization that helps both tame and feral cats. They operate a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for TNR of feral cats, offer socialized cats and kittens for adoptions, and provide information for caretakers of feral cat colonies.
- Prince George's Feral Friends, SPCA, Inc., P.O. Box 1036, Bowie, MD 20718, (301) 262-6452
- Frederick County Humane Society 550 Highland Street, Suite 200, Frederick, MD 21701, (301) 694-8300, email@example.com
FCHS was awarded a grant from PetSmart Charities to spay/neuter 300 free-roaming (feral) cats in the Lewistown and surrounding areas. They work with local veterinarians and Tip Me Frederick to provide this service for free to residents of this area.
- Neighborhood Cats: The Feral Cat Rescue, 2576 Broadway, No. 555, New York, NY 10025, 212-662-5761, firstname.lastname@example.org, A national rescue and advocacy group based in NY. Has many resources, including videos, available online.