Shelters and Rescues in PG County
- Beltway Emergency Veterinary Hospital, 11660 Annapolis Road, Glenn Dale, MD 20769, Phone: 301-464-3737, Fax: 301-464-0002, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Emergency veterinary hospital open Monday-Friday, 6:30p.m.-8a.m. Available 24 hours on Saturdays, Sundays and major holidays.
- Dogs and Cats Veterinary Referral and Emergency, 6700 Laurel Bowie Rd, Bowie, MD 20715, (301) 809-8800, Emergency veterinary hospital open 24/7, 365 days a year. Also provides specialized veterinarians and diagnostic services.
- Prince George's County Animal Management, 3750 Brown Station Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, 301-780-7200, Fax: (301) 780-7258, Prince George's County's animal control division. They respond to a number of animal-related calls, including cruelty complaints, abandoned animals, injured and sick animals, and reports of dead animals. (NOTE: Permission to trap wild animals must be obtained first from Maryland Department of Natural Resources at 1-877-463-6497).They also operate the county shelter, which is not a no-kill facility.
- Licensing and Regulations, Prince George's County Animal Management, licenses required in PG County for dogs, cats, and ferrets.
- Lost and Found, Prince George's County Animal Management, If you have lost your pet, please call (301) 780-7250. If you have found an animal that you believe is someone's pet, please call (301) 780-7200 and press 6 when you hear the recording.
Shelters and Rescues
Below is a list of municipal shelters in Prince George's County:
- City of Greenbelt Animal Shelter, 550A Crescent Rd., Greenbelt, MD 20770, Phone: 301-474-6124. Open Visitations are Wednesdays from 4pm-7pm and on Saturdays from 9am-12pm or by appointment. Will adopt animals to individuals outside the county, but only accepts surrenders of animals from residents of Greenbelt. The shelter also maintains a Facebook page with photographs of animals for adoption.
- City of College Park Animal Control,240-487-3570 or 240-375-3165 or email email@example.com. College Park has many links to online resources on pet care on their website and also has a Facebook page with adoptable animals. They can only accept animal surrenders from residents of College Park. They will adopt out to individuals both within and outside PG County.
- Prince George's County Animal Management, 3750 Brown Station Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, 301-780-7200, Fax: (301) 780-7258, Prince George's County's animal control division and municipal shelter. Note: This is not a no-kill facility, but there are many animals in urgent need of adoption. They maintain a list of adoptable animals on PetHarbor.com as well as a list of monthly statistics on rescue, adoption, and euthanasia.
There are also privately-funded humane societies in PG County that offer pets for adoption and foster pets:
- PGSPCA/Humane Society of Prince George's County, PO Box 925 Bowie, MD 20718, firstname.lastname@example.org, 301.262.5625 lists their animals for adoption on Petfinder.com. PGSPCA does not operate a shelter but rescues cats and dogs from the PG County Animal Shelter and foster them in the homes of volunteers. Although PGSPCA does not accept surrenders of animals from pet owners, they will assist pet owners in finding new homes for their pets and will list the pet with their adoptable animals.
- Partnership for Animal Welfare (PAW), P.O. Box 1074, Greenbelt, Maryland 20768, (301) 572-4729, Cat adoption: email@example.com, Dog adoption: firstname.lastname@example.org. PAW does not have its own shelter but fosters cats and dogs in volunteer's homes and holds adoption shows at local pet stores such as Petco and PetSmart. PAW DOES NOT accept animals given up by their owners. They also have a list of links to resources about pet care on their website. They will adopt animals to those residing within the Metro DC area.
- MJ's Animal Sanctuary, P.O. Box 463, Bowie, MD 20718, email@example.com, does not have a shelter but fosters cats and dogs rescued from high-kill shelters in volunteers' homes. Animals for adoption are listed on Petfinder.com and on Facebook. MJ's will accept animal surrenders only if they have space in a foster home available. Currently they are not accepting surrenders of cats or kittens. There are no geographical restrictions for adoptions and they will even adopt out-of-state if its a desirable home for the animal.