Adding Books from the Catalog
One of the really neat features of the LibGuide is the ability to add profiles for books that link directly to the University of Maryland’s version of the WorldCat catalog (http://umaryland.worldcat.org/). I’m going to demonstrate this by adding a book to the “Books on Teaching and Learning” box on the “Books on Teaching and Learning” page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the “Books from the Catalog” box and click on “Add new book.” This will open up a dialog box.
- If you have a book already in mind that you want to add to the catalog, there is an easy way to automatically enter some of the book’s data into the LibGuide if you know the book’s ISBN number. This can be easily looked up by finding the book’s catalog record in WorldCat:
- Open a new window and paste this address into the browser’s address window: http://umaryland.worldcat.org/
- Below the search field in WorldCat, select Advanced Search
- Put the book’s author and/or title information in the appropriate fields and click “Search.” I am going to enter “Wells” for author and “Pedagogy in Higher Education” in the title field
- You will see a list of book results. Pedagogy in Higher Education appears at the top. Click on the title to see a more detailed record.
In the detailed record for the book, scroll down to the Details section. There you will find the ISBN numbers (sometimes there are more than one). Select and copy the first ISBN number listed by highlighting the text with your cursor and hitting Control and C to copy.
Select the browser tab for the LibGuide. In the Add New Book dialog box, paste the ISBN number into the ISBN field by clicking in the field and hitting Control and V to paste. Then Click on the button “Get book information.” If the LibGuide can find the record information from WorldCat, it will appear in the fields in the dialog box along with a thumbnail image of the book cover from the catalog:
I’m going to make some changes to the information in order to make the record more complete and easier to index:
- Using Control + X to cut and Control + V to paste, I am going to move the first editor’s first name, Gordon, to after “Wells” so that “Wells” is at the beginning of the author field. This will allow me to sort the booklist by last name of author.
- The LibGuide has entered a publication date of 2013-11-18. I can leave this as is or I can add more publication information, such as place of publication and publisher. By finding this information in the WorldCat record, I can cut and paste it into the field.
- If I want to make a note to the user of where I can find a copy of this book in the University of Maryland Library system, I should check the WorldCat record for location and call number information and paste that into the call number field. Under the section “Find a Copy in the Library” in the WorldCat record, it says that UMCP’s McK Library has a copy in its stacks with a call number of LC196 .P453 2013. Enter that information in the Call Number field of the dialog box.
You can also add a URL to UMD’s version of the book’s WorldCat catalog record, making it easier for your LibGuide user to find a local copy of the book. Click on Permalink (the fifth menu item in the menu at the top of the book’s record in WorldCat) to obtain a permanent link to that record. Use Control + C to copy the link and Control + V to copy it into the URL field in the LibGuide dialog box.
- Lastly, many of these catalog records have a book description which can be copied into our description field in the LibGuide. Select, copy, and paste the description from the record into the Description field, or enter a description of your own.
- Click on “Save Book Info.” to save the information you’ve entered:
When you save the book information, the new title will be added to the bottom of the book list. If you want to update the list so that the new book appears alphabetically, click “Reorder books.” Just as with sorting a Links and Lists box, you can rearrange the order of the books in the Books box by dragging and dropping the titles. Or the LibGuide also gives you the option of sorting by Author, Title, or Call Number. Currently, all of the book lists in the LibGuide are sorted by author, so this should be the option you select:
Click “Update Order” to complete.